Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Journal - Germany and Salzburg

Greetings from rainy Salzburg, Austria! I have made it this far on my three-week journey, and its been great! Except for the occasional rain the last few days. I´ll make this relatively quick.

Saturday 31
This day was mostly a travel day, with a long layover in London-Heathrow en route to Stuttgart, Germany. I had plenty of time to visit every store in the terminal, and be amazed and jealous of the expensive chocolate and $12,000 bottle of 50-year-old whiskey.

Sunday 1
I had a full day in Stuttgart to explore the city, so I spent the morning at Wilhelma, the city zoo and botanic gardens, trying to learn the German names for animals. "Der Braunbär" or "Das Flusspferd" for example. Then I investigated the city´s transport system, including a trip up on the "seilbahn" (funicular), a walk through a forest, and a trip down on the "zahnradbahn" (cog-railroad).

Monday 2
I caught an early-morning train to the nearby university-town of Tübingen, where I met a friend from Belfast who studies there. She led me on an excellent tour of the neat and bustling little city, including good views over the houses, a trip to the schloss, and ice cream next to the river. That evening I met some of her Biology friends and ate a traditional local dinner: käse-spetzle (a homemade pasta with cheese)...delicious! The next morning before I left we also had another delicacy: strawberry-quark.

Tuesday 3
Yesterday I caught a morning train from Stuttgart to München to visit another Belfast friend who lives nearby. He showed me all around the city, including the glockenspiel, the city gates, the river and English Gardens, and the Olympic park and tower (with a great view of the city, and even a bit of the Alps). We even saw some urban surfing! We also ate well: weißwurst and weißbier mixed with lemonade. Mmm!

Wednesday 4
Today I got a ride to Salzburg with my friend, because he was flying back to Belfast from there. I´m very glad I came to Salzburg, because it is a beautiful and interesting place, even if cloudy all day. I visited the main attraction this morning: a big castle overlooking the town called Festung Hohensalzburg, with great views of the Alps on good days. I also stopped in some massive churches, and walked around the interesting old and narrow streets. This evening I hiked a bit on an urban mountain, and enjoyed dinner on the bastion overlooking the city before the rain chased me into an internet cafe. Now I´m just waiting until my overnight train arrives to take me to Trieste, Italy!

No comments: